Create an ARES Account
How do I create An Ares account?
1. Go to https://ares.uflib.ufl.edu/ares
2. Log in using your Gatorlink account information.
3. If you do not have an account in Ares you will be asked to create an account as a student. click on the link for student.
4. On the next screen, fill in your information as follows:
- First name.
- Last name.
- Gatorlink ID- use only the ID (do not include @ufl.edu).
- Email: use ONLY your Gatorlink email. Account requests using any other email will be denied.
- Telephone number.
- Campus address (PO Box).
5. Your Ares account has been created.
How do I search for my classes in Ares, and add classes to the My Courses List?
1. Log into Ares, as shown above.
2. Under Student Tools, click on Search Courses.
3. There are three options. Students may search for courses by department, by Instructor (use the pulldown menu to locate instructors by name), or by course number (for example, ENC 1101). HINT: if you cannot locate the course by prefix and number, try entering just the prefix.
4. Click on the Add Course link to add the course to your My Courses list. The My Courses list is a list of the classes you are registered for and access regularly. Courses you are enrolled in are NOT added to the My Courses List automatically- students must add each course to this list manually.
How do I see what materials my instructor has on reserve, and view these materials?IMPORTANT: You must have the UF VPN Client installed on your computer, and be logged into the UF VPN Client before viewing online course reserve materials using an off-campus network. For information on installing and using the UF VPN Client, go to https://it.ufl.edu/ict/documentation/network-infrastructure/vpn/. For technical assistance with the UF VPN Client, please call the UF Computing Help Desk, at 352-392-4357.
1. On the main page in Ares, there is a list of classes you have added to your My Courses List (See example below). Clicking on a course will take you to a listing of all the materials that the instructor has requested for course reserves this semester.
2. Use the image below as a guide to types of course materials on reserve.
- Primitivism in 20th Century Art (circled in red): This item lists a call number (N7248.5 P741); if an item has a call number listed, this indicates that the item is a hard copy reserve item, and not available full-text online. If you click on this listing, you will see the following screen:
- Click on “Click here for catalog record” to view the complete catalog record for the item, including the library where the item is on reserve, the call number, and information on if the item is currently checked out (see below).
- For the item African Arts: Aesthetics and Evolution (circled in blue); the web file icon indicates that the item is an online resources, with a link to the article in a database, website, or other online source. Clicking on the item will bring up the item record, with a link to the item. Click on View this item.
- For the item African Crossroads: Political Dress (circled in purple), the PDF icon next to the item indicates that it is a scanned PDF file. Clicking on the title will take you to the item record (see image below). Please note that you need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader or another PDF file viewer installed.
How do I remove a class from the My Courses list?
The courses in your My Courses will be automatically deleted from your list at the end of each semester. If you want to remove a class before the end of the semester, take the following steps.
1. Click on the class in your My Courses list.
2. Click on the Remove course link, under the Student Tools menu (see image below).
3. On the next page, confirm that you want to remove the course by clicking on the Yes link (see image below).
Can I be automatically notified when new course reserves items are added to a class in my courses?
For each class in your My Courses list, there is an option to be notified by email when new items are added to the course reserves list. Emails are automatically sent to your ufl.edu email address. To activate this feature, take the following steps:
1. Click on the course in your My Courses List.
2. At the top of the page, there is a message stating “An Email subscription will send you emails when new items become available in this course. You are not currently subscribed. Subscribe now” (see image below). Click on the Subscribe Now link.
You will now receive an email whenever an item is added to the course reserve list.
What is a Hot List, and how do I use it?
The Hot List allows the user to group items they may want to access quickly or may need for more than one class. The Hot List appears above the student’s current class listing on the Main Menu page.
To add items to your Hot List:
1. Click on a course in your My Courses list.
2. Place a check mark in the box next to the items that you would want to add to your Hot List.
3. At the bottom of the page, click on the Add Checked items to Hot List button.
These items will now appear first on your main Ares page when you log in, for quick access. To remove items, place a check mark next to the item on your Host List, and click on the Remove checked items from Hot List button.