Library Privileges are granted based on your current affiliation with the University of Florida. Please visit our Borrower Privileges page to see your library permissions and privileges based on your affiliation.
Borrow Library Materials:
- Present your Gator 1 card or government-issued photo ID when you borrow materials at our Libraries.
- Note: Library users with special borrower’s privileges must present their Library issued borrower’s card in addition to a government-issued photo ID.
- Gator 1 cards and Library issued borrower’s cards may not be loaned to another person.
- The card holder is responsible for all costs and consequences of card misuse. If the card is lost or stolen, notify the Smathers Libraries to request deactivation of the missing card.
- Return or Renew library materials before the due date stamped in each item.
- The borrower is responsible for keeping track of loaned items and their due dates.
- The libraries will communicate with borrowers via the email address on their library account.
- For loans of items in our General Collections, the libraries will send a courtesy email notice 7 days before the due date, and again 1 day before the due date.
- The borrower must check this email address frequently. Failure to receive these notices does not exempt the borrower from any fines accrued when an item is returned late.
- Report any changes to a borrower’s contact information to the libraries to ensure that emails are received.
- Some items in the Libraries’ collections are only available for use within the libraries, or loan out for shorter periods of time.
- Examples of in-library use items: Special Collections materials, reference materials, reserve items.
- Examples of short-term loan items: DVD and media collections, periodicals and journals, circulating technology.
Renewals and Recalls:
- Renew:The borrower can request a renewal of loaned items online on the UF Library Catalog by clicking My Account or by contacting any UF Libraries circulation desk.
- The following items cannot be renewed:
- Items requested by another borrower.
- Items that don’t allow renewals: Interlibrary loans, reserves, videos, and items from the Map & Imagery and Mead Libraries.
- The following items cannot be renewed:
- An overdue item on the borrower’s account will prevent renewal online via My Account on the UF Library Catalog.
- Recall: If a loaned item is requested by another user, the libraries will send out a recall notice to the borrower.
- The recall notice overrides the original due date, and the date stamped on the due date slip in the item.
- Items needed for Course Reserves are due immediately upon recall.
- The borrower may place a hold request after returning the recalled item. The borrower may also use the Interlibrary Loan or UBorrow services as an alternative resource for borrowing another copy of the item.
- Respond promptly to recall notices. Failure to do so is regarded as a serious infraction of borrowing privileges. The libraries will suspend borrowing privileges and may take further action.
- Please review our Recall policy in full.
If the item you want is not available, click on the link below for information and resources.
Return Library Materials:
- Visit any UF library location during open hours to return library materials.
- Most items can be returned in our book drops at various locations. Book drops are accessible even when libraries are closed.
- Items that must be returned at a circulation desk:
- Circulating technology and tools.
- Interlibrary loans, reserves, and items from the Map & Imagery and Mead Libraries.
- DVD’s and videos can be returned in the external Audiovisual book drop at Library West if the borrower can not return the item in person.
- The borrower can also return materials by mail.
Overdue Fines and Fees
Failure to return or renew materials on or before the due date will result in blocked library privileges. Click below to see our Fines & Fees page.
If Library materials are not returned after the due date has past, the item will be declared “Lost” and the Libraries will begin the replacement process. Click below to see our Replacement Policies.
Library fines and replacement costs are collected by UF Finance and Accounting. Pay bills through the University Bursar, S-113 Criser Hall. See payment options by clicking the link below.
Library circulation records are confidential information. Library staff will not provide any circulation or account information to anyone but the account holder, unless required by law.
The George A. Smathers Libraries strive to provide an environment that supports the needs and activities of our patrons. Patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that promotes a safe and pleasant atmosphere. Visit our Conduct page at the link below for more information.
We welcome visitors, guests and researchers. All campus libraries are open to the public during the defined hours. Please Visit our general public policies page at the link below for additional information.