These policies pertain to operations within all George A. Smathers Libraries and Storage collections. Special Borrowers are eligible to borrow 10 library items for a loan period of 3 weeks for most items.
Processing of applications may take up to 3 business days.
Special Borrowers Visiting Hours
|Library West||8 AM-10 PM||8 AM-5 PM||CLOSED||12 PM-6 PM|
|Marston Science Library||8 AM-10 PM||8 AM-10 PM||10 AM-6 PM||10 AM-10 PM|
|Architecture & Fine Arts Library||8 AM-10 PM||8 AM-5 PM||1 PM-5 PM||2 PM-10 PM|
|Education Library||8 AM-10 PM||8 AM-5 PM||1 PM-5 PM||2 PM-10 PM|
|Health Science Center Library||7 AM-11:30 PM||7:30 AM-7 PM||8 AM-5 PM||1 PM-11:30 PM|
The libraries offer borrowing privileges to the general public for the following fees:
Fees for Special Borrowers’ Privileges
|4 months||1 year|
|Member of the UF Alumni Association or Howe Society||$30||$75|
|*These fees are fixed and cannot be prorated to accommodate longer or shorter time rates.||.||.|
- If the application is approved, you will be notified when you can receive your library-issued Special Borrower’s card.
- Cards can picked up at the Library West circulation desk.
- Payment for the borrower’s fee is due at the time of receipt, and must be made in the form of check or money order made payable to the University of Florida.
- Upon receipt of the Special Borrower’s card, you will also be required to sign and complete the UF Community Borrowers Terms and Conditions agreement in order to signify that you accept all UF Special Borrower circulation policies.
Borrowing & Other Policies
Special Borrowers are eligible to borrow 10 library items for a loan period of 3 weeks for most items.
- Special Borrowers must present a valid photo ID and their Library-issued borrower’s card in order to check out library materials.
- The borrower’s card may not be loaned to another person and the card holder is responsible for all costs and consequences of card misuse.
- If the borrower’s card is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the card holder to notify the Smathers Libraries immediately to deactivate the card.
Please note, Special Borrowers Privileges do not grant you access to the following services listed below. Access to these services are restricted to current UF students, faculty (Emeritus and retired faculty included), and Oak Hammock residents.
- Interlibrary Loan services.
- Remote (off-campus) access to UF proprietary databases and use of certain materials.
- Printing services.
- Use of libraries during the evening or overnight hours. Please refer to our Special Borrowers visiting hours.
Learn more about borrowing, renewing, and returning library materials.
Failure to return or renew materials on or before the due date will result in blocked library privileges. Click below to see our Fines & Fees page.
Learn more about rules and regulations regarding computer use in the libraries.
The George A. Smathers Libraries strive to provide an environment that supports the needs and activities of our patrons. Patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that promotes a safe and pleasant atmosphere. Visit our Conduct page for more information.
Renewing Borrowing Privileges
Contact the Library West Circulation Department at the following phone number: (352) 273-2525.